The first annual Bendigo Writers Festival runs from Friday 10 August to Sunday 12 August.
Across the three days, sessions will run in a number of venues concurrently, including the main theatre in The Capital, the Fire Station studio space, and the Bendigo Bank Theatre. There will also be many short sessions in the Banquet Room of The Capital (the Festival Hub).
Download the program here.
Festival Highlights include:
- Legendary media editor, businesswoman and best-selling author, Ita Buttrose AO OBE will be speaking about her memoir ‘A Passionate Life‘ at 1pm (not 2:30pm) on Saturday 11 August. $12/$10 at The Capital.
- One of Australia’s best-loved and most successful writer-illustrators, Leigh Hobbs.
- Writer and director, Ian Jones speaking about Ned Kelly.
- Author Margo Lanagan, talking about fantasy, how to set the imagination free and how love and romance makes writing live and breathe.
- Miles Franklin award winner, Alex Miller.
- Playright, Katherine Thompson will presenting on Australian theatre.
- Historian, political writer and screenwriter, Don Watson will give us the first glimpse of his new book, The Book of the Bush on Sunday 12 August at 12.30pm. $12/$10.
- Miles Franklin award winner, Alexis Wright.
- The brilliant and entertaining, Gideon Haigh will speak at 4:30pm on Saturday 11 August at The Capital. $12/$10
- David Marr is the Friday Keynote speaker in the Capital, at 6pm til 7.30pm on 10 August: given the past few weeks, the current state of the media, and what’s happening to his employer, Fairfax, this is going to be an excellent and timely session. $12/$10
Tickets Full details of ticketing are available online, and via The Capital’s box office: (03) 5434 6100. There are be festival passes ($40/$35), day passes ($24/$20) and single session tickets, all at very reasonable prices.
Volunteers Required! If you would like to be part of team, register your interest at firstname.lastname@example.org.