Proper Chai

If you’ve ever experienced the pleasure of real chai, you know what I mean.

I have a recipe that I make at home (similar to this, except I use dandelion root instead of rooibos), but sometimes when you’re out, you don’t feel like coffee or tea – chai would really hit the spot. Often there is only chai made from powder (what the?), chai made from syrup (ditto) or chai made with water, like regular tea (Nooooooo!). We’ve recently found out (thanks to Cristean, Dale & Adam) that there are places in Bendigo that sell PROPER CHAI! *does happy dance*

Cafe El Beso 87 View Street, Bendigo
A lovely decent pot of chai with a generous dollop of honey.
Wed – Fri 8:30am-3:30pm, Saturday 9:30am-3pm, Sunday 10am-3pm.

Let’s Get Saucy 88a Victoria Street, Eaglehawk
Open 7 days.

Bendigo Corner Store Cafe 305 View Street, Bendigo
The Corner Store cafe serve a ‘wet chai’ brewed in milk with honey, and Adam is the resident Chaiwallah 😉
Open 7:30am until 6pm weekdays, and 8am until 4pm weekends.

Masons of Bendigo 25 Queen Street
Mason’s chai is a fresh mix of spices with wet black tea; we hear it smells amazing!
Tuesday-Sunday 8:30am-late

P.S. If you’re ever in Melbourne, go to Penny Farthing for some chai. They serve it beautifully, with little pinch bowls of honey and cinnamon to add as you wish. Lovely!

Updated 26 November 2012

Advertisements

About iheartbendigo

The unofficial guide to Bendigo and Central Victoria.
This entry was posted in coffee, drink and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Proper Chai

1. Gina says:

Yep, El Beso is the best. And in Melbourne I like Slow Poke in Brunswick street.

2. kat ritchie says:

Oooh. I also like to make my own chai. As a bit of a tea snob, and the powdered chai doesn’t taste half as good any more since I started making it from scratch. I remember one particularly horrid experience at the Bendigo Ice Creamery – love their ice cream, just don’t get their chai latte. Surely there are more true chai providers in Bendigo, with all the new coffee joint fashionable places around like The Brewhouse or the Old Green Bean; or even El Gordo? Do they all really use insta-chai mixes? Now I’m curious to find out.

3. Petit Pixel says:

I hear Chai Baby in Kyneton is amazing too.

4. Pingback: Coffee in Bendigo | The unofficial guide to Bendigo

5. Sarah says:

I second that the Corner Store has great chai- it’s my go to place for it. I don’t normally drink soy but when I have their traditional chai I really enjoy it with soy milk. Must try El Beso’s chai too!

6. Jim says:

The Rose Emporium, 85 Mitchell st makes excellent ‘real’ Chai. It’s great with honey and soy milk. The Chai Latte is fabulous as well! No intant Chai powders.

7. VCatherine says:

The little café in the Old Eddington Roadhouse on the way to Maryborough has a lovely wet Chai Latte served with honey, delish!!!!!