We’ve updated this post here – 2016 update
We thought that in the lead up to Easter, ‘The People of Bendigo’ would need to know where to go to get their fill. We do suggest that you may want to ring and order to avoid long delays on Good Friday though..
Lyttleton Terrace Takeaway 5442 9617
3/176 Lyttleton Terrace
There are many advocates for this this humble chippy. Comments include:
- Ann says “great squishy chips” (the Poms love them, apparently)
- Julie says “Best fish; the batter is always crispy”
- Becca says “Always packed, but never much of a wait & always GOOD!!”
Mick’s Fish 5447 9033
19 Nolan Street (opposite Lake Weeroona)
Liz: “Probably the best tasting fish and chips I’ve ever had (gluten-free or not)”
Marong Road Fish Shop 5443 0930
5 Marong Road (near the corner of Eaglehawk Road)
We hear Fotis has legendary status in the Bendigo Fish n’ Chip Fraternity. Comments from the fans:
- Anita says “Fotis is brilliant. Delicious food, wonderfully kind man and always an extra treat packed along with the order!!”
- Matthew says “Fotis is a champ!”
- Renee says “Marong road for sure, especially the AWESOME potato cakes”
- Erin is a HUGE fan: “Marong Rd for the whole package;
* Great familiar service, complete with lolly pops for the kids (after asking parents);
* Solid value & ‘realistic’ packs, i.e. with inclusions you actually eat, also happy to trade/swap those not wanted, it’s amazing how many places won’t!
* Utter reliability on taste & crunchiness
* Surprisingly given odd location, never a drama with parking for pick-up either.”
Kennington Fish Shop 5442 2830
12 Condon Street, Kennington
A strong contender in the popularity stakes with their crunchy chips and great service. Rob says “Lovely owners, affordable & tasty food; smiles every time”.
White Hills Takeaway 5448 4383
539 Napier Street (GF Review Here)
Liz says “They have a dedicated gluten-free fryer and know about cross contamination issues.”
Others that were also recommended:
- Bendigo Gourmet Fish Shop 5444 3132 507A Napier Street, White Hills
- Long Gully Fish Shop 5443 0079 1/160 Eaglehawk Road, Long Gully
- Family Fish Shop 5447 0970 107 High Street, Kangaroo Flat
- McIvor Road Takeaway 5441 1615 1/91 McIvor Road
- Alder Street 5447 8100 1 High Street (Cnr Alder St), Kangaroo Flat
- Golden Square 5442 8556 299 High Street
- Condon Street Takeaway (5442 4261) Strath Hill Village
(Corner Condon Street & Edwards Road)
- Chicken & Seafood Inn (5441 6922) Strath Village.More details here.
A big thank you to Erin, Becca, Rob, Brett, Emma, Travis, Justine, Sarah & Kelly (from Twitter) and Jenya, Emma, Nicole, Amanda, Lauren, Keren, Sharon, Brendan, Hayley, Kristen, Shona, Leah, Mandy, Ann, Megan, James, Susan, Belinda, Naomi, Jaclyn, Anita, Matthew (others prefer to call him Fatty), Leah, Angela, Renee, Liz, Julie, Caroline, Sharleen, Stephen, Karen, Sherran, Aliesha, Tanya, Melissa, Kim and Nicholas (from Facebook) for their contributions!