We thought that in the lead up to Easter, ‘The People of Bendigo’ would need to know where to go to get their fill. We do suggest that you may want to ring and order to avoid long delays on Good Friday though – you can even call the day before.
Our pick! Mick’s Fish 5442 9669
19 Nolan Street (opposite Lake Weeroona)
Liz: “Probably the best tasting fish and chips I’ve ever had (gluten-free or not)”
Naomi: “Grilled butter fish, calamari ring and min chips. So good!!”
UPDATE: Listeners on GOLD Central Victoria reckon Mick’s is the best.
Lyttleton Terrace Takeaway 5442 4041
3/176 Lyttleton Terrace
There are many advocates for this humble chippy. Comments include:
- Ann says “great squishy chips” (the Poms love them, apparently)
- Julie says “Best fish; the batter is always crispy”
- Becca says “Always packed, but never much of a wait & always GOOD!!”
- Nicole says “I recommend chips with all sauces, you can thank us later. They sprinkle with chicken salt, spray with vinegar and soy sauce then top wth tomato sauce. It looks awful but tastes ahhhhmazing!” Hmmm. We’ll leave that up to others to report back.
Bendigo Gourmet Fish Shop 5444 3132
507A Napier Street, White Hills
Nick: “He was a chef, the owner. We have eaten at just about every fish and chip shop in town and the missus won’t go anywhere else!”
Emma: “Great batter, fresh fish, awesome crunch on chips and potato cakes. Hamburgers are delicious if you don’t like fish.”
Tony: “The best hamburger with the lot this side of Texas. Chips beautiful and crunchy too.”
Find them here: Bendigo Gourmet Fish Shop
Peter’s Fish Shop 5447 7329
136 High Street, Kangaroo Flat
Ashley tells us that the potato cakes are homemade and her personal favourite. Flake and chips are cooked to perfection too, and great customer service. Also, she adds that the oil is constantly freshly cleaned and changed.
Nayomi says: “We usually get chicken souvlaki, flake, potato cakes & chips. Always fresh & sooooo tasty. Great service & friendly staff.”
Marong Road Fish Shop 5443 0930
5 Marong Road (near the corner of Eaglehawk Road)
Chip connoisseur Tracie told us “We had chips from Marong Road the other night, and they were the best chips I have ever got in Bendigo.”
Kennington Fish Shop 5442 2830
12 Condon Street, Kennington
A strong contender in the popularity stakes with their crunchy chips and great service. Rob says “Lovely owners, affordable & tasty food; smiles every time”.
You can place your order online.
White Hills Takeaway 5448 4383
539 Napier Street (GF Review Here)
Liz says “They have a dedicated gluten-free fryer and know about cross contamination issues.”
Long Gully Fish Shop 5443 0079
2/158 Eaglehawk Road, Long Gully
Shona usually orders a family pack which feeds 4 adults and 2 kids: “Best of all it’s just really fresh and we don’t feel sick after eating it! Cleanliness is a must for me, and the LGFS is squeaky clean!
The Daggy Verandah – now called Hammer St Takeaway 54060243
22 Hammer Street, Flora Hill
Under new management and we haven’t taste tested yet! Let us know if you’ve been to Hammer St Takeaway and what you thought.
Others that were also recommended:
- Seashells Fish Shop 5446 3388 55 High Street, Eaglehawk
- Family Fish Shop 5447 0970 107 High Street, Kangaroo Flat
- McIvor Road Takeaway 5441 1615 1/91 McIvor Road
- Alder Street Fish & Chips 5447 8100 1 High Street (Cnr Alder St), Kangaroo Flat
- Golden Square Fish Shop 5442 8556 299 High Street
- Condon Street Takeaway (5442 4261) Strath Hill Village
(Corner Condon Street & Edwards Road)
Updated July 2018
A big thank you to Becca, Rob, Brett, Emma, Travis, Justine, Sarah & Kelly (from Twitter) and Jenya, Nicole, Amanda, Lauren, Keren, Sharon, Brendan, Hayley, Kristen, Shona, Leah, Mandy, Ann, Megan, James, Susan, Belinda, Naomi, Jaclyn, Leah, Angela, Renee, Liz, Julie, Caroline, Sharleen, Stephen, Karen, Sherran, Aliesha, Tanya, Melissa, Kim, Nick, Tony, Naomi, Shona, Nayomi and Nicholas (from Facebook) for their contributions!